My cat can turn pretty much any promotional product (or even the packaging for any promotional product) into a promotional pet product. He’s like a five-year-old kid in the way he can keep himself entertained with the simplest of things: if you’re a cat, it seems, reusable grocery bags make a great playhouse, foil balls are pretty fun to chase around in circles, and there’s nothing more relaxing than scratching up a piece of corrugated cardboard.
June is Adopt-a-Cat Month, and if you’ve got an open heart, a steady cash flow, and a bunch of grocery totes and leftover foil lying around your house, you’re a perfect candidate for cat adoption. The American Humane Association reports on their website that springtime is “kitten season,” which means that thousands of kittens across the country have been placed in shelters, where they’re waiting to find a “forever home.”
When I adopted my cat, Pip, from PAWS Atlanta last summer, I loaded up on promotional pet products from the shelter. Every time I use these items I’m reminded of the life I saved by adopting a pet. In addition to custom pet items, the American Humane Association has created a checklist of things you might want to consider when you’re preparing to adopt a cat:
- If you’re thinking about adopting a cat, consider taking home two.
- Find a cat whose personality meches with yours.
- Pick out a veterinarian ahead of time and schedule a visit within the first few days following the adoption.
- Make sure everyone in the house is prepared to have a cat before it comes home.
- Budget for the short- and long-term costs of a cat.
- Stock up on supplies before the cat arrives.
- Cat-proof your home.
- Go slowly when introducing your cat to new friends and family.
- Be sure to include your new pet in your family’s emergency plan.
- If you’re considering giving a cat as a gift, make sure the recipient is an active participant in the adoption process.
As you can see, there are a few steps you’ll want to take to prepare your heart and home for a new pet, but it’s a commitment that is certainly worthwhile.
Learn more about Adopt-a-Cat Month and how to find a new friend in your area…